Yesterday marked the release of a one-off compilation CD in aid of the Disasters Emergency Committee’s East Africa Crisis Appeal featuring a stellar line-up of impressive artists from the North-east. Heart-breaking images showing the extent of the East African famine and drought crisis have been broadcast across the world, and although aid is being sent thick and fast, it’s still not enough to cope with the ongoing difficulties faced by inhabitants of the villages hit hard, and the aid workers trying to relieve the situation. With this in mind, the organisers of the NExEA compilation have drawn on the fantastic musical resources we have here in the region and created a limited edition CD consisting of 18 tracks (some of them exclusively recorded for NExEA) to help raise funds for the appeal.
Esteemed artists such as Willy Mason, Field Music, The Futureheads and Maximo Park front man Paul Smith are just a few big names to jump at the chance to get involved, as well as local favourites such as Mammal Club, Let’s Buy Happiness, O’Messy Life, Lanterns on the Lake, The Lake Poets and Vinyl Jacket to name but a few. By using the plenitude of talent we have in our region, NExEA will raise both awareness for the cause and funds which the appeal so desperately needs.
Check out the track-list to whet your musical appetite:
1. The Futureheads – Robot (acapella)
2. Field Music – Repetition
3. Shields – Spires (Adrian Bushby Mix)
4. Age of Consent – Columns
5. Let’s Buy Happiness – Woodrings
6. Willy Mason & Spokes – Bossman
7. O’Messy Life – Cancellation Of The Constellation Programme 11.10.10
8. Mammal Club – Put Your Fears In Order (Alternative Version)
9. Here Comes Good Sailing – Jonathon The Obscure
10. The Lake Poets – Edinburgh
11. Lanterns on The Lake – You’re Almost There
12. Young Liar – Rosé Banter Bruise
13. Waskerley Way – Hark, ‘tis th’ Beaste Coaste
14. Warm Digits – Weapons Destruction
15. We Are Knuckle Dragger – Get The Horizon Yourself
16. Vinyl Jacket – Got The Badge
17. Paul Smith – A Perfect Foil
18. Symphonic Pictures – We All Come From Fire
Available now to pre-order; there’s a specially designed physical copy, as well as a digital download. The organisers have pledged that £6 from each physical copy and £5 from each digital copy will be donated directly to the appeal. There’s only a limited number of physical copies available however, so get clicking the links below before they’re shipped out on the 19th of September. See links below to get yourself a copy and be safe in the knowledge that not only are you buying a piece of North-east music history (this is the first compilation of it’s kind!) but also providing assistance to those in East-Africa who for them, aid is a matter of life and death.
For more information, and to learn more about the crisis and find out how you can help with the DEC appeal then visit their website. You can order your NExEA CD/Digital Download by visiting the links listed below.
Limited edition CD pre-order: http://nexea.bigcartel.com
Digital Download pre-order: http://nexea.bandcamp.com
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/NExEA